“Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life.” ~ Rumi
The Joy Experiment: A 12-Week Exploration
Joy is a state of being. It is not something we pursue or find in situations, achievements or accomplishments. Believe me, I know many people who seemingly have everything one could ask for in life… good health, loving family and friends, monetary wealth. And they are not always Joyful.
Yet I also know people who don’t seem to have much. Maybe they are less well off, or wishing they were in a relationship, or are happy not climbing the corporate ladder of success. They are often the most Joy-filled people I know
And to speak for myself, I know that my experience of Joy has grown exponentially in the last few years because I have a more humble and grateful awe for each precious moment of life. Joy for me starts with the appreciation of being alive, and that every experience is truly a gift.
We act as if we are tortured if we are not getting what we “want”. But what we actually “get” is a gift. This gift to be human… Alive. Breathing. Feeling. And I mean to feel everything!
When I recently went into my 3rd orthopedic surgery in less than 1 year, I said to myself… “How extraordinary that I get to experience this creative way that doctors have come up with to fix our bones and help us walk!” I don’t for one minute forget that I am able to walk because someone figured out how to surgically repair my femur. And what a gift and joy it is to be able to walk!
This 12-week Joy Experiment is about RADICAL JOY through RADICAL GRATITUDE!
And because of this mindset, my creativity and curiosity have expanded. I see possibilities and opportunities that I would have missed before. And I experience all of life imbued with more inspiration, trust and Joy.
The Joy Experiment: Beginning Saturday, January 9th, 2021 at 9:00am PST
- 6 2-hour virtual group meetings held every other Saturday at 9:00am PST
- Welcome email prior to the first class with Zoom conferencing info and link to the 6 virtual meetings.
- Open “call-in/coaching hours” on the alternating Saturdays between 9:00 – 10:30am PST via Zoom.
- There is no format for these 90 minute sessions. You are free to ask questions, share insights, get coaching. The 90 minutes are guided by your input and engagement.
- One private coaching session with Julie. Can be scheduled any time through May 31st, 2021
Cost and Registration Details:
- Cost: $325
- Scholarships available. Contact me if you are interested in the program, yet financially this is too much a stretch to join.
- To Register: Please make payment via Venmo @Julie-Stuart-OakLeaRanch, or get in touch to make other payment arrangements. Confirmation email sent once payment is received.
My path to Joy:
If you really knew me, you’d know that being Joyful has not always been how I would describe myself. I was once one of those people that could not put a smile on my face no matter what you bribed me with. I was not happy and I would say that I did not really enjoy people, nor even myself.
People that have only met me in the last 10 or more years, find that really hard to believe. But yeah, that was me… irritable, angry, and annoying to almost everyone… including me.
In reality, I was just stuck in insecure thinking.
Joy has played a bigger role in my life over the last few years, and then showed up in full force this year after I broke my leg, spent months recovering, and then a global pandemic hit.
But I promise you it does not take pain, suffering, and loss to discovery Joy. All it takes is being grateful for how precious life is.
Joy for me comes down to remembering that I have do a choice in how I look at anything through my mindset. And in those months earlier this year that I was not able to walk, I experienced how truly delicate life is. I found myself watching people walking and wondering how the heck they made it look so easy?
Appreciation of walking followed with a true joy of the experience. I now feel like I could walk forever and I appreciate every step I take!
Now I can find myself overwhelmed with gratitude and experience Joy at the most unusual times. And that is where it all starts. I now recognize that a mindset of deep gratitude while remembering the impermanence of everything are the seeds that bloom into Joy.
In this past 5 years, gratitude, impermanence, and Joy have transformed my life…
- I went from single to in a wonderful relationship, and now lovingly married.
- I went from living in a small apartment in Oakland, CA to a 20 acre ranch with 4 goats and one silly and adorable chocolate lab in Kelseyville, CA.
- I went from working for myself to also co-starting a non-profit with my husband (still in the start-up stages).
- And, amongst other things, I went from insecure, scarcity minded, perfectionistic and controlling, to abundance-minded, community oriented and Joyful.
I now sing to our goats, play hide and seek with my dog, tell my husband that I miss him when he is traveling (and that used to be really hard for me!), and trust that life will always guide me.